First Assembly of God

Springfield Ohio

  

~~ Special Service August 13, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. -- Night of Worship in Song with Special Guest, Terry MacAlmon ~~



Our Church History

When your great-grandfather was looking for a Gospel preaching church, he might have considered attending First Assembly of God. Our church has been serving the needs of families in the Springfield, Ohio area since 1927!

First Assembly found its origin in 1927, holding services in a small building on Lagonda Ave. in Springfield, Ohio. It was built through prayers, tears and hard work. It all started because of one woman’s vision, Geneva Matthews.

On June 1, 1928, the first business meeting was held at 1223 Lagonda Ave. with twenty-two members present. The members elected Geneva Matthews from Dayton, Ohio as the first pastor. They chose Elbethel Tabernacle as the name for the new church, and petitioned the Assemblies of God for recognition. R. J. Evans, Secretary of the General Council, responded in a letter dated June 13, 1928 which had 1 John 1:7 as its letterhead, officially recognizing Elbethel Tabernacle as a General Council Church. The church later moved into a regular building at the corner of Belmont and Prospect streets.

Following Geneva Matthews, Rev. Cecil M. Good was called to pastor and served the church until 1935. Following this, the Church called Rev. Victor Gopperton who served the Church faithfully for fourteen years. In April 1943, the church purchased property they had been occupying for the price of $1,825.00. With the purchase of the building, the church name was changed to El Bethel Church of the Assemblies of God.

In April, 1949, Arthur H. Parsons was called as Pastor. In June, 1956, the present location was purchased by the Church. In October, 1958, ground was broken beginning the construction of this building. The building was contracted and put under roof by our contractor, Mr. William Yoder. From there the congregation took over and the entire building was completed inside by our own people. The dedication service of the present sanctuary was held on September 11, 1960. Seventeen years later, the addition of the fellowship hall and classrooms were started and completion was made in 1978.

Pastor Parsons served until 1968 and was followed by Robert A. Curie from 1968-1974; Robert A. Hallquist from 1974-1980; Joseph Hartley from 1980-1987; Thomas Bell from 1987-1992; James Armpriester from 1992-2003; David Frank from 2003-2007; and Bud Rose from 2007-present.

The success and blessing of the past can be attributed to the faithfulness, sacrifice and consecration of the Church’s pastors and congregation.



 



Uncommon Find


Read Ezekiel 40:1 through 42:20

Published: Aug 21, 2017

Several years ago, a woman at a West Virginia flea market purchased what she thought was a worthless piece of art for seven dollars. Though she intended to throw it away and repurpose the frame, she decided to show it to an art expert first. To her surprise, it turned out to be a lost work by French impressionist Pierre-Auguste Renoir—valued at nearly one hundred thousand dollars.

So he measured the area on all four sides. It had a wall around it, five hundred cubits long and five hundred cubits wide, to separate the holy from the common (Ezekiel 42:20).

Just as a Renoir belongs on a museum wall instead of in a flea market, the work of God deserves special care. The temple included a wall of separation between the holy and the common. In Scripture, the word holy refers to a thing or person set apart for service to God. Christians must be careful to pursue Christ, not the sinful patterns of a world. Then others can see and recognize the signature brushstrokes of God’s redemptive work.

Prayer Suggestion: Lord, make my life a reflection of Your holiness.

Quicklook: Ezekiel 42:14–20


 

The Weather Channel: Your Local Weather Outlook--Springfield, OH

Subscribe to RSS Feed

AG.org News & Information